Old 14-05-2017, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Ants, slave labour in the compost

On Sun, 14 May 2017 14:02:32 Janet wrote:

Our local council offered three free plastic dalek composters; I have
these scattered around the garden to receive the kind of weeds I don't
compost in the big compost bins.

The daleks take couch grass, docks, seedy weeds etc and because they
are dry, are heavily infested with ant colonies. It's slow work but the
ants eat everything and turn it into a fine friable soil. When a dalek
is finished I just lift off the container and move it to a new location.
The compost stays where it is.

Here's the latest pile left after I lifted off the dalek.
I'm about to plant rhubarb there.

http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/images/antCompost1.jpg

close up. Apparently ants don't eat plastic binder twine.

http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/images/antCompost2.jpg

That looks lovely. About how long does it take?

David