Old 21-05-2017, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Hedge Trimming and Trimmer

On 20/05/2017 21:03, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

I have a mixed hedge comprising....
Escallonia
Ceanothus
Photinia
Honeysuckle
Eleagnus

The hedge is around eight feet high now, so a bit of a trial,
particularly accessing the top.

So, to the questions...

The hedge has managed to spread in width, despite my best trimming
efforts. If we were to take a foot off the width, would the
hedge face re-green given the chosen plants listed
above?

I have an aging black and decker electric trimmer. To attempt the
above exercise and to maintain the hedge in future, what should I
be looking to replace this with?

Thanks

Phil

I too have an old (30 yrs?)B&D trimmer. Works as well as my son's new one.

Main thing to consider is the ground in front of your hedge. If it's
soft, a stepladder is out, but standing it on a couple of paving slabs
can make it plenty stable enough for an 8ft hedge.