Old 22-05-2017, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Hedge Trimming and Trimmer

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 21 May 2017 20:08:11 +0100, Another John
wrote:
....I never use them opened out as stepladders: I lean them against
the hedge: all my hedges will easily support the distributed load of a
stepladder, with me+hedgetrimmer standing near the top.

I used to do the same, except there was a real risk that my
step-ladder would fall through the hedge because the individual plants
are too far apart. So tied a length of plank across the top to spread
the load. Nowadays I use a long-reach trimmer and the step-ladder is
no longer necessary.

I like the plank (or at least - batten) idea!

I have a long reach hedge trimmer: it's an electric Ryobi one. Weighs a
ton when it's actually doing its thing, i.e. extended. I lent it to my
neighbour last year: he's an ex-rugby player and thinks it's fine.... I
don't miss it!

And yes - good point about the birds, Andy. I never cut my headges
between March and the end of June.

John