Old 23-05-2017, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Pond problems?

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message news
Its our old pond but this year has a new problem, for the first time in
over 30 years we are getting large quantities of blanket weed, not added
anything to the pond in years nor applied any fertilizer to the bed behind
so I am at a bit of a loss as to why, but perhaps more importantly what to
do to get rid of it or at least reduce the amount.

At the moment I am pulling out large quantities every other day, do I just
keep going and hope I eventually reduce the nutrient levels or is there a
quicker and easier method

You can see a picture of the pond here
http://www.pushingtheborders.com/php....php?f=4&t=787

You need to starve the blanket weed from it's food source - algae.

If you can bury some electric cable to run a small pump with a UV lamp
inside.

Blagdon is a name you're familiar with :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006IRMV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Bottom of (above) page gives the various litreages. I wouldn't bother with
the spray outlets :-)