Old 24-05-2017, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond problems?

On 23/05/2017 18:44, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Its our old pond but this year has a new problem, for the first time in
over 30 years we are getting large quantities of blanket weed, not added
anything to the pond in years nor applied any fertilizer to the bed
behind so I am at a bit of a loss as to why, but perhaps more
importantly what to do to get rid of it or at least reduce the amount.

Something has added extra nutrients to the water recently then.

At the moment I am pulling out large quantities every other day, do I
just keep going and hope I eventually reduce the nutrient levels or is
there a quicker and easier method

Might be worth testing the water to see what the nutrient levels are.
Build up of fish dung providing a bit too much nitrogen perhaps?

You can see a picture of the pond here
http://www.pushingtheborders.com/php....php?f=4&t=787

I have asked the same question on the plant forum

--
Regards,
Martin Brown