Old 24-05-2017, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] johndkingdon@gmail.com is offline

Default Pond problems?

On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 18:44:25 UTC+1, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Its our old pond but this year has a new problem, for the first time in
over 30 years we are getting large quantities of blanket weed, not added
anything to the pond in years nor applied any fertilizer to the bed
behind so I am at a bit of a loss as to why, but perhaps more
importantly what to do to get rid of it or at least reduce the amount.

At the moment I am pulling out large quantities every other day, do I
just keep going and hope I eventually reduce the nutrient levels or is
there a quicker and easier method

You can see a picture of the pond here
http://www.pushingtheborders.com/php....php?f=4&t=787

I have asked the same question on the plant forum
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Hi Charlie. Greetings from a former URGler in South Wales (we've met!). I don't like advertising a particular product but, as someone who is very lazy when it comes to cleaning out the pond and so been putting up with just about everything murky, I'd suggest you take a look at http://www.aquaplancton.co.uk/. I tried this a few years ago as a lazy way out of just about every pond problem imaginable and, since then, have given the pond an annual dose. The water stays ridiculously clear, even when I have to top up with tap water. Not the cheapest solution but, IME, the most effective lazy option. John (aka Jake)