Old 30-05-2017, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default 1400w electric tiller - advice anyone??

On 23/05/2017 16:09, Muddymike wrote:
On 23/05/2017 10:57, wrote:
I am thinking of getting one of these - I understand that I'll have to
turn over hard soil first but then these will make a finer soil.
They come with up to 2 yr g'tee at about £120-130.
Digging is hard for me to do now and cost of hiring seems high.
Maybe could remove some tynes to make whats left more powered.
https://www.tesco.com/direct/the-han...gclsrc=aw.d s

Thanks in advance davej

Hanging on to one of those can be harder work than digging!

Mike

My dad was a keen gardener. He used to have a petrol tiller similar to
that tesco one - hold on tight, and hope it doesn't escape. It was damn
hard work, and he was only about 35 at the time. He bought a Howard
similar to Chris's rental suggestion, and used it for years. In my
limited experience those little things are only good if the soil is
really easy to dig in the first place. In which case you probably don't
need one.

It might be worth wandering down to your local allotments and asking.
Someone might let you dig their plot for them

Andy