Old 02-06-2017, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

On 02/06/2017 12:21, Muddymike wrote:
On 02/06/2017 11:19, Yellow wrote:
I am growing charlotte potatoes in 11 litre bags on my patio, from
Gardener's World magazine offer, and on the face of it they are doing
really well. But how do I know when they are ready to harvest?

The green part of the plant above the soil is growing vigorously, and is
getting higher every day.

Thanks for any help and advice.

When the tops start to die off.

Though if you don't mind not having maximum yield you will have some
smaller potatoes from about the time the first flowers are fruiting.
They get bigger and more of them the longer you let them grow.

I prefer fresh new potatoes to maximum possible weight of crop so always
dig some up for this reason as soon as they are available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown