Old 16-06-2017, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Yellow[_3_] Yellow[_3_] is offline

Default cardboard plant pots

In article ,
lid says...

Hello,

I bought some "cardboard" plant pots. They were reduced to clear (50p)
at B&M. I have put cardboard in quotes as I have been googling to find
out more about them and it seems some are made from coconut and others
from peat, so I am not exactly sure what I have got.

I remember my mother used to grow seedlings in old toilet rolls, so
with these being so cheap, I thought I would buy a pack to try but I
am unsure the best way to use them.

How do you water plants that are in them? There are no drainage holes
in the bottom, so if you over water do they go soggy and disintegrate?
Thanks,
Stephen.

I make pots out of newspaper and they survive amazingly well - and the
whole thing just gets wet when I water the plants.

Then when I put the plants in the ground I remove the top edge, as that
tends to go hard, and then just make a few holes in the sides of the
soft paper to ensure the roots reach out into the soil.