Old 23-06-2017, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Lawn laid in December, new build

Pug wrote:
Would it be worth me raking the dead grass out before hand? It seeded
with fiberous stems about a month ago and they are tough to cut out. I'm
sure it's because the roots are not as deep as its fresh laid.

every bit of organic matter grown there is
fertilizer for the next generation. don't remove
any of it if there are no indications of problems.

it is also the basis of future humus.

rocky soil can be a problem if you have
freeze/thaw cycles which can lift the stones
nearer the surface.

otherwise, i would gradually add topsoil and build
it up that ways.

for actual garden beds you may want to dig out the
larger rocks and also build them up to get a decent
amount of soil.

we've never fertilized the grass here (what little
we have left of it). a mulching mower a few times a
week when it is actively growing returns the nutrients
to the plants and the rains bring more. 20yrs on and
it's doing fine.

songbird