Old 23-06-2017, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Perspiring Phal

In article ,
lid says...

On 21/06/17 10:34, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I have a phal orchid standing in a nne facing window on the
stairs. It is in flower and another flower stem is growing
strongly. Coming downstairs this morning, I noticed very tiny
drops of liquid on the new flower stalk, just below each joint
(for want of a better/proper word!).

Is this anything significant, normal or just a result of the
heat we are having?

Just been to have a look at the flower stalks on my phals. No sign of
any liquid on them - I can't say that I've seen any in previous years,
too. I doubt that it's due to the heat.

The only thing I would be concerned about if it is isn't just water but
is something like sap. That might attract unwanted insect attention, or
maybe black mould.

I had not thought of that! Looking more closely at the drops,
and they look very spherical, almost defying gravity, so I'm
assuming that they are some form of sap or sticky output with a
high surface tension. But I'm not going to touch it!

No sign at present of mould or unwanted insects - plenty of
flies around, now mostly dead!

Will keep watch on what happens now the temperatures have
returned to normal levels.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales