Old 24-06-2017, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olearia traversii

On 24/06/17 19:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Thanks for looking.

I know nothing of gardening, but a place I visit on holiday is right
on the coast and it has a fairly good stock of Olearia.

I have attempted to grow a small hedge from cuttings with no success.
Either the grass swamps them, or they presumably get eaten by rabbits.

I have just ordered ten from Ebay, with the intention of growing them
in the midlands. they are around 500mm in 2Litre pots.

I was thinking of putting them into larger containers feeding them and
maybe when the light goes, move them indoors under a UV CFL.

When they reach 1 - 1.5 metres, I will plant them at the final
location.

Has anyone any suggestions as to the type of nutrient preferably for
speedy growth.

Does the masterplan sound good?

Regards

AB

What makes you believe that Olearia traversii will be hardy in the
Midlands?

From the Hebe Society page on Olearia traversii:
"Olearia traversii is found in forests of the Chatham Islands, New
Zealand. It is useful as windbreak near the sea, where it can be
clipped. Will tolerate dry conditions, but is not fully hardy in the UK."

--

Jeff