Old 25-06-2017, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john west[_2_] john west[_2_] is offline

Default Compost heaps spreading blight

On 22-Jun-17 4:37 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 22 Jun 2017 10:04, john west wrote:

At our allotment there seems to be some confusion over what to do with
the woody stems of potato plants when they are finished with.

Before burning they need to be dried out. Some are saying a special
drying place should be constructed for this drying purpose.

Since they think that drying out on the individual plots in compost
heaps, risks the spreading of any 'blight' spores into the soil.

If a special drying place should be constructed, roughly how should it
best be done ? Thanks

Not allowed fires on our site so it's off to the green recycling they
go. I'm assured that their composting is so hot anything is killed off.

have just seen on the RHS site they say better to burn rather than
compost.

also they say in this BBC site spores blow in the wind, but cannot
survive in 'fully' composted material. but potato stalks do not
*suddenly* become 'fully' composted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advic...r.shtml?blight