Old 27-06-2017, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Setting up shared discussion Access

On 6/27/2017 5:33 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 27/06/2017 15:55, john west wrote:

Grateful for any suggestios on an 'easy to set up' solution.

Start a private or secret Facebook group. Administrators have full
control of the page, and users only need a Facebook login and membership
of the group, as well as a web browser newer than IE6 on whatever they
use, be it a phone or a Cray supercomputer. There is no setting up
unless they want to for the users.

If you know of an expert whose expertise you need, you just invite then
to join the group.

This is how we communicate at the livery yard which I use. HOWEVER, most
of the users are either teenage girls or professional women under 40 or
so, so almost all are already FB users. I'd guess your allotment group
is much more mature, and also less attuned to and probably more
suspicious of FB.

FB also has the huge disadvantage of bombarding everyone with unwanted
and often inappropriate adverts and posts. Frequent users know how to
manage this.

If you just want to exchange or view text files or images, you could set
up a cloud drive such as Google Drive, MS One Drive, or Dropbox. You can
structure these in folders. We use this in another voluntary
organisation to share committee minutes, posters, and other documentation.