Old 30-06-2017, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default New Pest of all soft skinned fruit

Spotted Wing Drosophila (SWD)

We now have this on our allotment and it has destroyed our crop of
Cherries (4 trees). Flys onto and lays eggs in the ripening fruit
resulting in tiny little white maggots and usually rotting of the
fruit.
First noticed in UK in 2012 and first reported to RHS Wisley Advice
centre in 2015. Not much can be done against it, clear up all rotting
fruit and use traps (£20+ for 2) to see when it's around and spray with
insecticide but seems that isn't that effective.

Plants affected so far are...
Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, hybrid berries, all currants,
blueberries, gooseberries, grapes, cherries, plums, peaches and
nectarines, apricots, and Tomatoes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden