Old 02-07-2017, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sprouting bulbs

On 01/07/17 23:46, David wrote:
On 01/07/2017 22:36, kerrygirl wrote:
Hello,
I bought a packet of Acidanthera Peacock Orchids bulbs yesterday. It
says on the packet to plant them January to May. They already have
sprouted in the bag. Can I plant them now? Should I plant them at the
depth instructed or let some of the sprout above the compost.

YES

I think That David means you can plant them now! Once a bulb has
sprouted, it's always better in the soil than out of it.

As to the depth, just plant them at the recommended depth. If the
sprouting bits are a bit bent, that doesn't matter too much. Just be
careful you don't break them off. It doesn't matter if you need to plant
the bulb on its side so the sprout comes out of the soil. The bulb will
sort itself out and be the right way up by next year.

By the way, Acidanthera have a strange scent, which some find attractive
and others don't.

--

Jeff