Old 03-07-2017, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Radishes have flowers?

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 00:07:24 -0700, T wrote:

On 07/02/2017 10:19 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends. (No they
are not weeds, I matched all their leaves to the
other radishes next to them.)

Do I need to cut them off as I do scapes? Any
words of wisdom?

what's wrong with free radish seeds?
gives the bees and other insects something
to feed upon.

let them ripen, harvest and plant again...

also, consider it free organic material.
do you need that space for another crop? if
no, let it ride.

songbird

Okay, but I want to eat the radishes. Let some seed?
Eat the rest?

Why are they seeding so quick? There is no sign
of a radish under them yet.

Some radishes never set a good eating root. I usually pull them and
use them for compost. Some folks like the leaves and they can add some
tang to salads. It is easy to recognize the bum ones by feeling just
below the surface while you are harvesting the ones that are setting a
good root.

And some will bolt fast - happens. I have usually found that
temperature-excessive heat - can push some over the edge.

The nice thing is that radish seed is about as cheap as it gets, keeps
viability for years is stored cool and dry and you can have repeated
crops during the season for pennies. We've just planted a 3rd crop
here in NJ.

Basically, I buy radish seed (or most of my seeds, actually) at end of
season and store them. I do keep pepper and tomato seeds from fruits I
grow and at the end of the season, I let these fruits ripen and drop
naturally. I have dozens and dozens of volunteers that come up the
next spring and get pretty terrific results and a few surprises that
way, too.

I've one type of cherry tomato - it is a small globe with a pointy end
and wondrous flavor, that has grown as a volunteer in my garden for
well over a decade. I do keep aside some seed just in case, but
volunteers, root cuttings, accidental crosses can be a real delight
for the gardener if one has time for them.