Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default a bribe seems to be working

Boron Elgar wrote:
Neither fencing nor netting keeps out the chipmunks around here. I put
mousetraps around the crops they favor. I am not looking to catch or
kill them, the *******s - just scare them away.

a very fine mesh with an electric run at the
top. all i need is for it to work long enough
to get the plants up and growing past their
first few leaves.

at the bottom you put it down a few feet out
(L shape) and cover it a little. they usually
won't figure out how to dig under that.

what is discouraging this year is that there
aren't really that many around, but the few that
are are very determined at hitting that particular
patch. i've sat with the air rifle to try to
get them, but haven't had the gun sighted in well
enough yet to get a sure shot. they don't sit
still long.

two years ago (i think it was) we trapped about
50 of them in a few weeks and that really did help
for the following year. they just keep coming
back and the semi-feral kitty isn't around any
longer to get some. she/he was good for a few a
week. rarely ever saw them leave without one in
their mouth.

ah well... better luck next year. hope i have
enough seeds left that will sprout or get enough
from these few plants.

songbird