Old 13-07-2017, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default help with colour in the garden in July

On 13/07/2017 13:30, kerrygirl wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will Google the list of plants, yes
going to the garden centre is a good idea, I actually took a trip to one
last week. The only thing of interest was some dahlias, which I bought
as I love them. I think I will have to visit another one.

Other things in full flower here in July include centranthus, buddleia,
lavender, perpetual sweet pea, pelargoniums, geraniums and carnations.
Some of these will flower well for quite a while if you dead head and
the odd one will become an invasive weed if you don't dead head.

I grow the buddleias and centranthus for the butterflies and hummingbird
hawk moths that they bring in. Both of these set way too much seed.

One oddity with centranthus ruber coccineus is that there are three
forms that look identical apart from the colour. A dark pink bordering
on scarlet, a mid pink and an white. I have the dark and light pink
variants but the white form never arises as a seedling. Not that far
away on the cliffs at Whitby the white form is locally common. Why?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown