Old 19-07-2017, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Okra

George Shirley wrote:
Hoping this fall that we will be able to take all the homemade "dirt" in
the raised beds and mix in a lot more composted cow manure plus all the
stuff from the composter. I intend to rent a small cement mixer and use
that to mix up all the goodies and then back into the beds. Beats trying
to rock a tarp back and forth with our old arms and shoulders to get a
good mix. Need to add another bale of peat moss too.

just put it down on top and it will get mixed in
when you plant new things in and if your worms are
working...

i think many people are really wrapped up in
gadgets and techniques more than common sense.
for some reason they forget that nature has
figured out how to rot and reuse stuff that
just falls on the surface as is.

if you're worried about bugs and smells it
does help to bury some things under several
inches of soil to keep the flies off and to
make it available to the worms.

i turn my worm buckets out into the gardens
once a year. otherwise i only disturb the soil
in them to put new things in that need to be
buried. in rotation through the buckets it means
i may do something once or twice a month in
each bucket (depending upon how many food scraps
we have).

keep it simple.

songbird