Old 20-07-2017, 12:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
James Wilkinson Sword[_2_] James Wilkinson Sword[_2_] is offline

Default "% Chance of rain"

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:46:10 +0100, AnthonyL wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:22:20 +0100, Ash Burton

What do you believe weather forecasters mean when they say "40% chance
of rain"?

1) It will rain for 40% of the day.
2) There's a 40% chance it will rain at some point.

I googled it and apparently it depends on the forecaster? 1) and 2) are
completely different meanings.

I think it means 2

Yesterday Accuweather MinuteCast was showing no rain for at least
120mins - I only looked at the site because it was raining and I
hadn't noticed a forecast for it.

The best forecast I've found (if I'm already where I'm going to be and haven't moved in the last day) is my watch. It takes a pressure reading every minute and draws a graph of the next 12 hours of weather. Basically I look out the window and look at the graph, if it's going down then I know the weather will end up worse than it already is.

--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.