Old 21-07-2017, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default What is the plant on the left?

On 21 Jul 2017 15:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:27:17 +0100, Racquel Darrian
. wrote:

What is the big plant on the left?

It looks like there are some either side of the door too.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset..._720_noupscale

TIA

Could be a palm, but I'm more inclined to suggest Cycas revoluta, aka
Japanese sago palm http://tinyurl.com/y6twxfxd , not a true palm but a
cycad. Cycads are a very old family of plants, dating back some 280
million years, and cycads were probably eaten by dinosaurs (but not
these particular specimens!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycad

See here for images http://tinyurl.com/y8vtdegg

But it's not hardy: H2 on the RHS web site is 1-5°C, so only really
suitable for greenhouse cultivation, or frost-free or very mild
locations. Where was that picture ta

Agree, and I wouldn't chance it here despite have some tenderish plants
survive outside.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden