Old 21-07-2017, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cordyline

On 21/07/17 16:35, Andy Burns wrote:
I've had a cordyline(?) in a container for about 4 years, it's the
red/brown ttype. It always seems to have done fairly well, and blades
were about 18" long, but they've been dying off from the outside in,
over the last few weeks.

I'm tending to think I've been over watering it as it tends to get some
whenever neighbouring containers get watered.

it it toast? Any hope of growing it on from the risomes?

All may not be lost. It depends on why your plant appears to be
suffering. The roots may have gone, and so might the leaves, but
propagation might still be possible. This is from the RHS info on
propagating cordylines (https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=543):

Propagate cordyline from seed, cuttings or suckers, ideally from April
to June. Pot up individually using well-drained cuttings compost. If
possible, provide bottom heat.

- Take terminal (shoot tip) cuttings 10-15cm (4-6in) long. Remove all
the leaves apart from the terminal tuft
- Prepare 5-7.5cm (1-2in) stem-section cuttings from thicker stems
that include a bud. Insert the stem cutting horizontally in the compost
with the growth bud just visible at the surface
- Sever rooted suckers that arise from the base in spring and pot up
individually. If the suckers have only a few roots treat as terminal
cuttings (see first bullet point above)

Your best bet could be the stem-section cuttings. The "gotcha" is that
you will have to cut up the plant whether or not it might survive if you
do nothing!

--

Jeff