Old 22-07-2017, 10:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default "% Chance of rain"

On 20/07/2017 20:57, Rod Speed wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote
What do you believe weather forecasters mean when they say "40% chance
of rain"?

I know that they mean.
1) It will rain for 40% of the day.

Nope. Ours has both that daily number and a break down in 3 hour
blocks with that 40% appearing on at least one of the 3 hour blocks.
2) There's a 40% chance it will rain at some point.

Yep.
I googled it and apparently it depends on the forecaster?

Not here it doesn't.
1) and 2) are completely different meanings.

Sure.

This thread reminds me of my favourite weather forecast. "It may rain at
times in places" 100% accurate, but also 100% useless, in my opinion.