Old 23-07-2017, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp is offline

Default LED Grow lights

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 11:03:55 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 16:20:32 -0700, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:

Anyone used one of these?

I thought I would give one a go, 900W [presumably effective LED power]

As the mains power is 120W I assume it's the equivalent wattage of a
sodium lamp of similar luminosity?

Anyway, I am totally new to growing things, but having bought some
Oleria, I thought I would try a few flowers and vegetables. The light
was bought due to the late time of year I'm starting and limited room
outside.

I have some cuttings from the Olearia under the light along with
African Marigolds, sweetcorn and spring onions.

The cuttings have not rooted, is three weeks too early?

and the rest of the stuff only shows a marginal improvement over the
"control" plants in a south facing window.

I power up the light for eight hours. I switch on when I get home in
the evening and off in the morning.

The room is lit with daylight from a curtained window also.

The light does not seem to be worth the power expended on it, but is
it worth keeping for when the days shorten?

Has anyone any tips or suggestions please?

AB

One of the traditional problems with grow-lights in the past was that
you needed powerful lights to match the strength of daylight, and they
also produced a lot of heat which tended to scorch the plants. LED
lights, being much more efficient, produce less heat and are less
likely to do that.

In general I would say three weeks is much to short a period to expect
cuttings of shrubby stuff to root. More like six to eight weeks, often
longer, but it very much depends on the type of cutting (softwood,
hardwood, truncheon, root etc), their size, the species of plant
they've come from, the propagating conditions and the time of year.

Some details on taking Olearia cuttings he
http://practicalplants.org/wiki/Olearia_traversii

There's a Youtube video on taking shrub cuttings he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3O7sxisg9A The plant is Coprosma, not
the same as Olearia but the principles are the same. Key points are
good cutting material and properly prepared at the start, a well
drained compost (something like 1:1 peaterlite would be OK), good
light but not direct sunlight, bottom heat if you can arrange it but
not essential if you can't, (they'll just take a bit longer), and
keeping them damp but not too wet.

I know you say space outside is limited, but I'm rather surprised
you're bothering with a grow-light at all at this time of year, when
days are long and sunlight is at it's strongest. You wouldn't want the
cuttings in direct sunshine of course, but even filtered or north
light is strong at this time of year. Having said all that, if the
plants aren't on a windowsill, and in a room with limited light due to
the curtain and being back from the window, then there may be some
justification for your grow-light, but yes, by all means use it in the
depths of winter.

Grow-lights are extensively used by illicit cannabis growers. Have you
had a visit from the boys in blue yet? :-)

Thank you.

As you can probably tell, my ignorance regarding plants is all
encompassing.

The light is a strong magenta and can be seen easily outside the
house.

What you say, seems to back up my findings completely. I will
dismantle the system and maybe reinsate it in a few months.

Many thanks for the links, as you are no doubt aware, I really have no
idea what I'm doing. After the Olearia which I want for a hedge, and
have had a high failiure rate in the past, I thought I would grow some
different plants!

Probably not a good start, like software I assume it's best to have a
goal in mind and be specific?

Anyway, thank you, I'll study the material you have linked to. Then
maybe read a book or something :-)

Regards

AB