Old 24-07-2017, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Sun Flowers

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 22:02:44 +0100, sun flower wrote:

I noticed with my sunflowers this year that something has been attacking
the leaves. Various holes appearing in them. I have taken damaged
leaves off and inspected very closely: no sign of leaf miners - and no
sign of any other bugs.
I woke up in the middle of the night last night and even went out with a
torch in the dark: but still no sign of anything eating them.
(Slugs and snails are well controlled)
The only thing I have noticed are many ants "farming" their aphids: but
I have always had those with no real holes in leaves in previous years.

One suggestion would be leaf cutter bees (or other similar airborne
insect).

Cheers

Dave R

---