Old 28-07-2017, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default The Harvest Begins

On 7/26/2017 10:53 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/26/2017 8:59 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/23/2017 7:31 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/22/2017 8:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 10:25:58 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
I picked 3 cucumbers this morning , peppers are starting to produce ,
and there are several small okra pods out there . I think we're
going to
get a pretty good harvest this year , I've had more time to work out
there . Last year construction was the top priority , this year not so
much though it's close to the top of the list .

--

Snag
My wife has started harvesting and processing tomatoes this week;

Paul
Maryland, North of Baltimore
I got a late start this year , but fortunately the growing season
here (N. central Arkansas) is pretty long . I usually have til late
September to harvest stuff unless we get an early freeze .

--

Snag

I should have checked yesterday . Picked 7 cucumbers and the first
zucchini just a few minutes ago , there are LOTS more cukes and at least
3-4 more zukes out there not quite big enough . Also got a handful of
okra , but not enough for 2 servings - by Friday there will be .Tomato
plants are producing nicely though none are ripe yet , peppers are still
behind - but the jalapenos have a few pods now . It's supposed to rain
here on Thursday evening and Friday , followed by more sun - and another
explosion of growth in the garden . The wife was "hoping the garden will
do better this year" , looks like she gets her wish . Sure glad we
picked up that 4 dozen canning jars (yard sale @ $2/doz) last week
because it looks like we're gonna need them .

--

Snag

I never seem to have any luck growing squash because it always gets eat
up with borers!

You have to check the underside of the leaves for eggs . And squash
them before they hatch . There is usually a certain time span when they
are actively laying eggs , if you can break the cycle you should be OK .
Just remember , the moth that causes all the havoc flies ... and may be
coming from somewhere other than your garden . I was lucky this year and
didn't get any - yet .

--

Snag