Old 29-07-2017, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default The Harvest Begins

Terry Coombs wrote:
I should have checked yesterday . Picked 7 cucumbers and the first
zucchini just a few minutes ago , there are LOTS more cukes and at least
3-4 more zukes out there not quite big enough . Also got a handful of
okra , but not enough for 2 servings - by Friday there will be .Tomato
plants are producing nicely though none are ripe yet , peppers are still
behind - but the jalapenos have a few pods now . It's supposed to rain
here on Thursday evening and Friday , followed by more sun - and another
explosion of growth in the garden . The wife was "hoping the garden will
do better this year" , looks like she gets her wish . Sure glad we
picked up that 4 dozen canning jars (yard sale @ $2/doz) last week
because it looks like we're gonna need them .

we've done 33 quarts of dill pickles the past few
weeks with it just getting ramped up.

i'm hoping we will only do a few more batches and
then call it done and remove most of the cucumber
plants. i really don't want to spend most of my
extra time putting up dill pickles that we won't
really need. my brother loves 'em, but we need to
keep some jars for tomatoes (which for us start to
get put up in mid-august through october).

we always are happy to have jars donated to us
from people we give things to. many are good about
returning them. we should have another five to ten
cases of jars out there, but i haven't looked that
close yet.

this past winter we gave away 15-20 cases of
quart jars (with contents ). so far not many
of those have come back.

songbird