Old 01-08-2017, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Hotbin composters - any fire risk

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:48:03 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Hi,

It might seem like a silly question, but is there *any* likelihood of
one of these:

http://www.hotbincomposting.com/

catching fire of its own volition?

I have found black ash pockets in a pallet compost heap which must
have self combusted (as hayricks can) but had gone out of its own
accord. Mine do get hot, I remember the children trying to bake
potatoes and eggs in the bins (no luck).IME its the capacity of the CH
together with the mix of contents, that builds heat and speeds
decomposition. I add a 6" layer of fresh lawn clippings to mine every
time we mow (or the neighbours deliver theirs)

That's a very high price to pay for a rather small (IMO) insulated
container; and you'll still need to buy their "bulking agent" at huge
expense. I wouldn't waste my money one one where there are free
alternatives such as pallets, and (where I live) free daleks provided by
council.

Janet