Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Heat and rain

On 8/1/2017 9:04 AM, George Shirley wrote:
We had a 101F day this past week, and this week we are looking at high
nineties. The "maybe" good news is there may be rain this week. That's
if I really believe the weather people, yeah, that's it. G Of the
last week's weather guides none were right. I am beginning to think
that the weather folk toss coins and science has nothing to it.

August in SE Texas is usually the hottest month of the year. We're
watering the grass, gardens, trees, and the dog on a daily basis. Our
"soil" is a little bit of sand on top of a big pile of gumbo clay.
Rain and water we put on stuff just sinks in a few inches and then is
gone. If we ever buy another home we will ask the depth of REAL dirt
before buying. Of course, in our late seventies, there is a minimal
chance we might move again.

Our normal electric bill runs year around at $51 a month, last month
it was $111. Tells me that the AC has been working harder than the
rest of the summer, and I expect August to be even hotter and the bill
higher. Most of our electricity comes from man made lakes not to far
away so it is generally cheaper than the power plants powered by
natural gas. We shall see.

We're still getting a few veggies from our garden but not much.
Tomatoes are now done so we will be buying them at stores until early
fall when we can plant again.

George

I'm expecting a spike in our water bill ... I've started watering the
garden every morning . We got quite a bit of rain up until a couple or
three weeks ago , but the stuff has slowed down and it's probably
because of not enough water . Nothing has actually wilted yet , but a
few times lately the tomato leaves have looked a little limp . As far as
the heat , we've had a couple of unseasonably cool evenings and there
are more in the forecast . Daytime highs have been down in the mid 80's
too , just no rain .

--

Snag