Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Hotbin composters - any fire risk

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 13:38:00 +0100, Janet wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:48:03 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Hi,

It might seem like a silly question, but is there *any* likelihood of
one of these:

http://www.hotbincomposting.com/

catching fire of its own volition?

That's a very high price to pay for a rather small (IMO) insulated
container; and you'll still need to buy their "bulking agent" at huge
expense. I wouldn't waste my money one one where there are free
alternatives such as pallets, and (where I live) free daleks provided by
council.

My brother has got one of those hotbins and found it wasn't really
worth the money, maybe if you have lot of kitchen waste rather than
old garden material it could be ok for some.

As it isn't much more than an expanded Polystyrene or very similar
material box it would be easy to make one from one of the proprietary
insulation board materials used in the building industry, some found
in a skip or seconds being sold cheap would suffice.
You might even find a local tall building being stripped of some.

I use a Dalek type but it is buried in a heap of grass clippings
that insulate it and heat it up and the contents at the same time.

G.Harman

G.Harman