Old 07-08-2017, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default composting corn cobs

Hi All ;
I find that whole cobs are slow to break down in the composter - so I
have been cutting them into ~ 5 pieces with a big knife - it helps
a bit - but I'm wondering if there is a better way - both in terms
of composter efficiency and to ease the chore a bit.
my wife puts up several dozen in the freezer plus what we enjoy at
the table I wondered if a big old heavy duty meat grinder would
handle them ? Would an old food processor stand up to the job ?
Any other suggestions are welcome.
John T.

Corn cobs take years to compost, so do corn husks... books on
composting say not to bother. If you have a fireplace you can burn
them and then sprinkle the ashes around your plants. I toss them in
the woods... if you don't have a wooded area nearby simply bury them.

Thanks - my back-up is to feed the livestock at a nearby farm.
They feed corn sileage through a TMR mixer.
I was just hoping to use our household compost in our own compost bins
- rather than _drive them_ somewhere ..
John T.