Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hotbin composters - any fire risk

On 31/07/2017 17:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 17:12:47 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 31/07/17 17:03, Asha Santon wrote:

I make no recommendation having never used it or anything like it,
perhaps because our garden has granite walls.

Thanks - I might use that on my workshop build

I have found a location next to a path (convenient) down the crappy side
of the garden fairly clear of overhanging trees etc.

The main interest in a hot bin is can cannot get rid of law trimmings
fast enough. My 2 daleks are slow, but do make nice compost.

Clippings are going in an old pond right now, but I need that to rot
clear in a couple of years to fill in, so ought to stop putting junk in
it

I also have a chipper (Bosch) which means I have a supply of wood
chippings too to feed the compost, as well as grass and kitchen waste.

I should be interested to hear if lawn clippings compost in this thing
as well as they claim for other stuff. IME they are the most resistant
of garden waste to compost, apart from twiggy stuff, and take many
months in a cold open heap, only really disappearing when the heap is
eventually turned from one bay to the next.

I confess to being a little mystified that people have trouble getting
lawn clippings to go. Mine go very quickly indeed provided that I don't
compact them - peak temperature is reached in about three days. I'm
adding about 1m^3 at a time and they are mostly gone within a fortnight.

I think it is all a matter of scale. Once you have enough of them in one
place the interior will get mad hot and off they go. Pongs a bit but it
isn't an unpleasant smell. My recollection from my parents small garden
was that grass cuttings on a cold heap often went slimy and anaerobic.

I did originally seed my compost heaps with Garotta (sp?) which may have
made a difference and might help get a smaller heap going well and hot.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown