Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default composting corn cobs

wrote in

On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 21:24:30 -0400,

wrote:
Livestock wont eat cobs, nor will they eat corn stalks...
farmers plow them into the ground.

I don't know where you farm, but around here corn
sileage is everything.

Where I live in NYS (Northern Catskills) corn silage is not
economically feasable, for that reason the dairy farmers shy away from
the practice. In fact NYS has cut way back on dairy farming and are
more into beef cattle and other livestock, especially horses, race
horses specifically. I own some large acrerage that I lease to a
cattle farmer, it's more profitable for him to grow organic hay, most
of which he sells to the down state race tracks and to those who breed
and winter race horses in this area. Growing corn for silage is not
compatable with growing corn for human consumption, thereforethe vast
majority of those who grown corn here chose to grow corn for human
consumption... for silage much different equipment is required for
planting and harvesting and then there's the storage problem. Here
it's more economical to plow corn stalks under.

https://reeis.usda.gov/web/crisproje...-new-york.html
"Corn silage yields less in New York compared with other dairy
states.If New York dairy producers wish to remain competitive, corn
silage yields and quality must inprove. The purpose of this study is
to improve the management practices of New York corn silage producers,
which should improve profitability of the New York dairy industry."

Most dairy farms in NYS have shut down many years ago... for one the
Feds forced them out of business.