Old 23-08-2017, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Overwintering small pot/hanging basket fuchsia advice please

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:50:15 +0100, Derek wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:20:15 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

This year I bought a couple of indoor fuchsia
I'm rather keen on this years' potted plants 'Swingtime' and 'Auntie Jinks'.

Hardy Fuchsia are only hardy if planted in the ground, (the root ball
is then insulated) so even a hardy fuchsia, and these are not,would be
at risk in a basket.
Tender fuchsia's can survive in an unheated greenhouse or porch with
care, unless we have a really harsh winter, such as 2010.
I would start in mid September,take off all leaves, these older
leaves will drop anyway, and by removing them you will avoid fungus
attack, the plants will grow within four weeks many small leaves,
these will survive the winter.
Now you need to protect the root ball, either buy the plants into a
bigger pot or wrap with fleece, (or both)
Now more fuchsia's die through neglect and lack water than the cold
during the winter, water very infrequently, maybe less than once a
month, but do not let it go bone dry.

Removing the leaves will make the plant look better, and cut down on
the water it needs.

If it gets really cold, another couple of layers of fleece will help,
but remove as soon as possible.

Sorry. Not true. I have had hardy fuchsias both in the ground and in
hanging baskets for years. Sometimes I take the hanging baskets down as
they look unsightly, sometimes I forget. I have not last any for as long as
I remember. I am on Tyneside.
--
Jim S