Old 23-08-2017, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering small pot/hanging basket fuchsia advice please

On 23/08/17 15:58, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message ...
To guarantee a hardie surving in the UK, through a harsh winter, ie
2010, the root ball must be well insulated, four inches minimum of
earth around it. So that one planted outside in the ground, should
survive, one in a pot may not.
Of course you can be lucky, but the poster wanted to know the 'best
way'

Although we're in SE Cornwall, we're 5 miles inland and 500' amsl and east
facing. The 2010 winter killed our 5 year old wisteria, 4 consecutive nights
below minus 5C. 4 outdoor hardy fuchsias survive to this day.

There is no chance of cold in the UK (even in north Scotland) killing a
Wisteria. It is much more likely that something else killed it. One
possibility is graft failure (which I grant may be exacerbated by
frost), but even so if you leave the "dead" wisteria in the soil you
will find that after a year shoots start appearing from the rootstock.
Unfortunately they will be of no use for ornamental purposes!

--

Jeff