Old 24-08-2017, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Where is everyone?

On 8/23/2017 1:55 PM, George Shirley wrote:
If you're like us you're gardening at dawn and sunset. We're constantly
getting temperatures in the high nineties. Just to hot for us old
gardeners.

We are expecting a little rain and perhaps some temps down in the
seventies and eighties, we hope. Weather heads here seldom hit the
golden bell and, most likely, they're takingĀ* wild guesses as we are.

The water bill and the electric bills have gone up double size during
the July/August times. Our AC seems to be running constantly this
summer. Our HOA lets us only have black roofs, dumbest rule I ever
heard. Native Texan and I want a white roof, at least some heat will be
pushed away from entering the attic and seeping down into the rest of
the house.

We water at sunrise and sunset, just to give the water a chance to be
taken up by plants and to soak into the soil for a bit. You can tell it
is hot when the St. Augustine grass is starting to turn brown due to
heat. St. Augustine will grow on concrete given a little water and some
shade. G

At any rate, we are still getting a cantaloupe here and there and few
puny sweet chilies. Tomatoes have gone to the composter as have many
other vegetables. The kumquat tree is full of little fruit, second crop
after a January freeze killed all the blooms then. Have one lousy pear
on the pear tree and the fig tree has nothing, a freeze split it in
half, so we may have to get another fig tree.

I keep track of our old home in Louisiana and I see them getting rain,
getting clouds to alleviate the heat and I miss that climate. Moved here
to be close to kids, grands, and great grands and, since most of them
work, we seldom see them. Can't convince the Boss Lady that we should
move back to Louisiana. She has gotten fully entrenched into this
community and intends to stay. Oh well, she's getting some paying jobs
teaching senior citizens how to draw and paint so I shouldn't complain.

The dog and I don't mind being house bound as we can take a nap when we
want to. G

You make me glad to be in Seattle.