Old 24-08-2017, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Where is everyone?

On 8/24/2017 1:18 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/24/2017 11:22 AM, Frank wrote:

You and I are contemporaries with similar situations.Â* My gardening
today is practically nil due to age issues, shade and deer.Â* Formally
large garden has been reduced down to a few tomato plants.Â* Too much
rain has been bad for them and they are pooping out early.

In spite of all the rain this summer, my next door neighbors well
pooped out and he had to drill a new one. Poor guy's grandfather just
died and back in January his wife was severely injured by a tree that
fell on her and the house.Â* I've taken down any tree that might
threaten the house and tell everyone the same.Â* We sometimes get
hurricane remnants here in Northern Delaware and sometimes tornado or
tornado force winds and I have seen a lot of houses damaged.Â* I
actually saw a tornado take out a nearby school gym maybe 25 years ago.

Reading about the storm threatening Texas I hope you are not in the path.

We lived many years on the old family homestead and had a well,
sometimes it didn't work right but was easy to fix. Then we lived in
cities and the water never tasted right, the big difference was the
chlorine and other chemicals they put in the water. I worked as an
operator in a chemical plant for sixteen years, my job was turning river
water into water suitable for boilers and drinking and learned a lot
about water, which most folks just take for granted. Many years overseas
drinking shipped in bottled water, tasteless but healthy. The water here
comes from a man made lake and is piped all over the large area here.
It's okay but I still break out the chemical set and check the water
quality frequently. So far it has been okay. Told one of my great grands
that fish peed and pooped in water and he decided he would drink bottled
water for a while then he got over it. I hope he does that for his great
grands some fifty years after I'm gone. G

We hope we are not in the path either, I will be watching it on the
computer to give us enough time to batten down the hatches before we run
for high ground. Been there, done that. Lost a cabin on Bolivar
Peninsula many years ago, also lost the lot so we don't have to pay
taxes on a vacant lot. That was a lucky one as family members are still
paying land taxes on lots that disappeared years ago.

It's hot as a two dollar pistol here but the sky is getting a little
darker. I probably should go on line and see where the storm is now.

George

Well water better than city water and when they were still alive my
mother and father would often come for water when theirs was tasting
like chemicals. Water is abundant here but not cheap and I figure over
the years well and septic have saved me a bundle. I'm a retired chemist
and have seen wells analysis free from plumber that wanted to put in
treatment but calcium was borderline so all I have is a sediment filter.

I have a generator for power outages but wish transfer box included AC.
None recently but outages have lasted as long as a week. Lines here run
along treed roads and since we are in a small area we are usually last
to get back service. I do have a portable AC that I bought a few months
ago when home AC was down for 3 days and it was very hot. I could run
that off the generator.

Hope storm does not bring problems to you.

Frank