Old 24-08-2017, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Where is everyone?

On 8/24/2017 3:24 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/24/2017 1:49 PM, Frank wrote:
Well water better than city water and when they were still alive my
mother and father would often come for water when theirs was tasting
like chemicals.Â* Water is abundant here but not cheap and I figure
over the years well and septic have saved me a bundle.Â* I'm a retired
chemist and have seen wells analysis free from plumber that wanted to
put in treatment but calcium was borderline so all I have is a
sediment filter.

I have a generator for power outages but wish transfer box included AC.
None recently but outages have lasted as long as a week.Â* Lines here
run along treed roads and since we are in a small area we are usually
last to get back service.Â* I do have a portable AC that I bought a few
months ago when home AC was down for 3 days and it was very hot.Â* I
could run that off the generator.

Hope storm does not bring problems to you.

Frank

We live right on the verge of The Woodlands of Texas. Pretty far from
the Gulf, and a higher elevation (barely) than Houston area. I've been
watching hurricanes come ashore since I could read and write and that
was age four. Wife and I just had a conversation about this storm, she's
from Maryland and we've been through a few hurricanes and tornadoes
together over our long married life. She gets nervous and wants to run
and lock everything down, I'm not to concerned about this storm. Mostly
because of where we live now, how high the area is above sea level, and,
I guess, just because I've lived through a great many hurricanes. That
doesn't mean we won't stock the SUV with clothing, food, etc. just in
case but I don't have that weird feeling I get when hurricanes are
coming ashore.

Over the next 48 hours we shall see what happens.

George

Looks far enough from Houston, probably as far as we were from Sandy
when it hit NJ a few years ago but we lost power a half day and a lot of
trees were down.

I told my wife the other day when power when out for a couple of hours
in the evening that we were spoiled as it was not a threat but just an
inconvenience. All the wealth of things we have now like TV, internet,
phones, we feel bad when one is lost even for a brief period.