Old 25-08-2017, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where is everyone?

On 8/24/2017 6:04 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/24/2017 5:23 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:52 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/24/2017 3:24 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/24/2017 1:49 PM, Frank wrote:
Well water better than city water and when they were still alive my
mother and father would often come for water when theirs was
tasting like chemicals.Â* Water is abundant here but not cheap and I
figure over the years well and septic have saved me a bundle.Â* I'm
a retired chemist and have seen wells analysis free from plumber
that wanted to put in treatment but calcium was borderline so all I
have is a sediment filter.

I have a generator for power outages but wish transfer box included
AC.
None recently but outages have lasted as long as a week.Â* Lines
here run along treed roads and since we are in a small area we are
usually last to get back service.Â* I do have a portable AC that I
bought a few months ago when home AC was down for 3 days and it was
very hot. I could run that off the generator.

Hope storm does not bring problems to you.

Frank

We live right on the verge of The Woodlands of Texas. Pretty far
from the Gulf, and a higher elevation (barely) than Houston area.
I've been watching hurricanes come ashore since I could read and
write and that was age four. Wife and I just had a conversation
about this storm, she's from Maryland and we've been through a few
hurricanes and tornadoes together over our long married life. She
gets nervous and wants to run and lock everything down, I'm not to
concerned about this storm. Mostly because of where we live now, how
high the area is above sea level, and, I guess, just because I've
lived through a great many hurricanes. That doesn't mean we won't
stock the SUV with clothing, food, etc. just in case but I don't
have that weird feeling I get when hurricanes are coming ashore.

Over the next 48 hours we shall see what happens.

George

Looks far enough from Houston, probably as far as we were from Sandy
when it hit NJ a few years ago but we lost power a half day and a lot
of trees were down.

I told my wife the other day when power when out for a couple of
hours in the evening that we were spoiled as it was not a threat but
just an inconvenience.Â* All the wealth of things we have now like TV,
internet, phones, we feel bad when one is lost even for a brief period.

I can remember when my folks got a tv in 1953. On Saturday nights all
the neighbors would come over to watch the old wrestling matches. The
good part is that they brought stuff to eat and drink.

I've never cared much for wrestling and boxing. I would like to have a
NRA channel and some good shooting matches. I'm a better shooter than
I am a hand fighter. G

I started with the internet in 1982 with an Osbourne One. Took forever
to get emails going so mostly used it like a typewriter with a tiny
screen. Cost a good bit of money back then, now computers are fairly
cheap compared to a big screen TV. I keep hoping someone will bring
out a big screen with a computer set up. I wouldn't need my glasses to
read the screen. VBG

I stayed in my room with my books and kept the door closed. A lot mo

I just checked and there are 3 sportsmen channel dealing with out door
sports on Comcast cable.Â* One channel is just fishing but Outdoor and
Sportsman channel mostly shooting sports.Â* Years ago I got an email from
Jim Scouten who had a shooting show on NBC sports that got taken off for
rodeo.Â* I had asked him where to go and Dish was his recommendation. Got
him back on Comcast cable when we went to HD channel a few years ago.
Yesterday evening I watched his show after seeing Jerry Miculek's
Shootout Lane show.

Can't remember year we got a TV but an uncle in the neighborhood was
first to get on circa 1950 and his living room was crowded every
Saturday night watching Milton Berle show on, as I recall, a round 8
inch black and white screen.

Looks like biggest threat from Gulf hurricane is rain.Â* A foot over a
couple of days will cause flooding where you normally don't see it.Â* We
live up hill but creek below can get flooded as well as stream to it and
I've seen neighbors basements get flooded.

We're hoping for that rain to come here. Haven't had much free water
this year and it's a pain watering our plants twice a day to keep them
going. I think we're high enough up from the Gulf that we won't flood
badly. Some of the smaller roads going here and yon haven't been built
up yet so they will flood easily.