Old 25-08-2017, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering small pot/hanging basket fuchsia advice please

In article ,
Derek wrote:

There is no chance of cold in the UK (even in north Scotland) killing a
Wisteria.

Yes, in the strict sense. But the way that frost kills many plants
in the UK is by damaging the tissues It's really our wet, dark but

not frozen winters
that are the problem.

'Wet cold Kills', we have all be told that plants don't like sitting
in wet conditions.

Yes. Wisteria are pretty fungus-resistant (using fungus to mean any
unicellular endoparasite), but there aren't many other things that
will kill a rootstock. And, if I understand it correctly, wisteria
will sucker from its roots if its trunk etc. are killed - Charlie
may know more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.