Old 29-08-2017, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mo' rain

On 8/29/2017 12:43 PM, T wrote:
On 08/28/2017 02:35 PM, George Shirley wrote:
We just topped 30 inches of rain according to the weather heads. I
don't think I've ever seen rain like that. 20 inches several time but
not this. Plus they're saying it is going to keep raining for the most
of this week if not more. Looks like Harvey is stalling out and we're
on the rain side. Our old home place in Louisiana seems to be getting
hammered with high winds and lots of rain too.

We had about five hours of no rain today and that allowed what was in
the detention pond to run on off the the creek some miles away but
there is a lot of flooding in Houston proper, Spring, and a few other
Texas town/cities nearby. Haven't seen anything on the news above
where we are but suspect some of the low lying places are flooded.

TV news has been showing rescue of people from their homes in Houston
and the close to Houston surroundings. Makes me happy that we looked
for a home on high ground when we moved here. I'm happy too that our
daughter and her kids bought homes on high ground. Just found out that
our son and his family moved from Kingwood to Memorial area in Houston
proper. He works at Texas Children's Hospital and that was a lot
closer than where he lived before.

It's getting really boring being rained in, luckily I had just checked
out five library books before the rain started. Plus we have
electricity, TV, phones, etc. No bumps or failures up here above the
coastal plain.

Having been a safety professional for many years it heartens me to see
how so many people are out saving lives, etc. Texans will do whatever
they can to help other people. Now I'm to old and beat up to go out
rescuing folks anymore but I can surely send them Hurrahs a lot.

No grocery stores open nearby gives me thanks that we grow and
preserve our own food, have two freezers, and closet full of preserved
foods in jars. We were both brought up to grow, preserve, and save
what we need to eat and to give to others who are without. If you
believe, say a prayer for the folks along the Texas coast. Thousands
are now homeless.

George

Good thing your power is still on.

We've been praying.

Can you at least swim in it?Â* Forget I asked that.

I'm so old we can't swim any more. I'm partially parallelized on my
right size from strokes years ago. I feel lucky that I can still walk,
on bad days I use a cane. All the kids gave me canes years ago when all
that happened. My favorite is one that has a dragon running down the
stick with the handle the mouth. Little kids really like to see that
one. Actually bought it in Hong Kong long before the strokes because 1)
it was cheap, 2) it was fancy, 3) I liked it on sight.

We're getting less rain but the hurricane is still off shore and
spinning. Every TV channel here is broadcasting and walking around or
boating around where the water is deep. Millions, they say, have been
moved out of their homes. Since this is a heavily populated area it's
probably true. Some homes flooded all the way up to the second floor. We
have a lot of creeks, rivers, bayous, and reservoirs here and it seems
they are all flooding. I haven't seen the rainfall lately, the weather
folk are probably adding it all up but I would say six to seven feet or
rain has fallen so far. Another wonder is that all of our children and
grown grands are on high ground too. Mostly they just can't get to work
so they're bored. Thanks for the prayers too.