Old 30-08-2017, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn puzzler - looks like lack of water (!)

On 30/08/2017 13:06, David wrote:
Most of the lawn is growing far too fast but there are a few high spots
(also in the centre where there is the least shade) where the grass is not
really growing. It looks like a lawn in the middle of a summer drought.
Which we aren't.

Just out of curiosity I nipped out between rain showers and stuck a fork
in the dry looking area. Very hard underneath and I could barely get the
fork in. Just a bit further than the tips of the tines.

Is it hard soil or is there something like old wall foundations buried
there? At this time of year when the weather is dry grass tends to die
back over any shallow buried walls and foundations of long abandoned
houses and sheds. Our villages former medieval settlement stands out
clearly in the late September sunshine some years.

I then tried a couple of the greener areas and the fork went in more
easily (although not very easily). Say about a couple of inches or so.

Crumbs. If I put my weight on it my fork goes in to the hilt.

I therefore have a correlation between apparent dryness and very hard soil.

Might be worth peeling back the turf to see what is underneath.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown