Old 06-09-2017, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Today's due diligence

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

of the phorid flies, certain species are predators of
fire ants.

Unfortunately they are not native, not present in sufficient number
to be meaningful, in short supply, not found on the handy homeowner
retail market. At least, I haven't found a source. You may find the
following citations interesting.

http://okaloosa.ifas.ufl.edu/2011Hor...esFireAnts.pdf

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaust...e-ants-zombies

http://journals.fcla.edu/flaent/article/view/56812

a bit busy this morning to read all of those, but
looks like they support my previous reading on the
topic.

Seems to me that in their native states a long term equilibrium exists
between predator and prey. As a general rule, predator species don't
eat themselves into extinction.

some barren islands would refute that blanket
statement...

One more alien species will not
eliminate the ants, guaranteed, and, if it _does_, who's to say what it
will eat next?

they've already been introduced to the USoA. like
the ants they will spread through time.

it may not stop them entirely, but the evidence i've
read says it gives them more of a challenge so that
other native species have more of a chance.

if they were not specific feeders they'd already have
been here (IMO) given that they've had 10,000 years to
travel the distance and plenty of alternative hosts to
use as skipping along points or stepping stones.

whenever there has been an introduced/non-native
species that becomes a problem it is usually because
the species has been introduced without the rest of
their system (prey species which would normally keep
them in check somewhat).

songbird