Old 09-09-2017, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default the storm

On 9/9/2017 9:33 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Isn't that strange, have lived on one coast or more for years on years,
rode out a few hurricanes, always bought houses on high ground. Harvey
just dropped about 50 inches of well-needed rain on us and ripped up
Houston proper. We never lost power, etc. through the whole storm. Then
along comes another one and it hit Florida. Probably another one will be
coming along.

eventually. Momma Nature isn't going to stop
cooking up storms. building and rebuilding
lowland structures is rather stupid, but people
are ... as long as they want to keep paying the
insurance and costs.

We've always been lucky, none of our families has ever lost a house, not
much ever but a few trees. And a cow disappeared once upon a hurricane,
never found her again. I reckon a rustler got the cow or tornado in the
storm got her. At least I never had to get up early and milk her again.G

do you have cold hands? mebbe it ran away?

what interested me the most with this one was
how the forecast first started with the storm
being further west, then it shifted quite a bit
east and then back to the west.

i just read an article about the forecast
models being worse than before. as usual complaints
of lack of funding. and not that i'm agreeing
entirely, but basic science should always be well
funded (and usually isn't).

songbird

There were plenty of people outside the US tracking it. EU models had
apparently appeared best. The climate change people make predictions 10
years out but weathermen are often wrong 2 days out.

I like the water but don't want to live where a 10 ft tide surge could
flood me. Even inland is at risk. Lower DE is coastal plane. I've
seen storm surge cross the road from the Atlantic ocean to the Rehoboth
bay. Lot of people live there and will eventually suffer. I like where
I live at about 300 ft above sea level in upper DE. A couple of years
ago, if hurricane Sandy had made the left turn a half hour sooner, DE
would have suffered the damage seen in NJ and NY.