Old 25-09-2017, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default the storm

On 9/25/2017 8:11 AM, songbird wrote:
Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

they are completely non-destructive here as far as i
can tell.

These raccoons dig holes in great number that resemble squirrel
holes except for size, which relates directly to the size of the beast.
Fill them and the 'coons'll just dig more, often in the same places.
Not a problem for me but causes neighbor great anquish, primarily
because, at age 73, he has yet to master the practice of looking where
he places his feet outdoors.

lol - i often have the other layer of that problem
where i'll be watching where i'm stepping and get
poked by something up top (wind chime crossbar in
one garden is the worst).

at the moment the ground here is fried so hard that
not much is getting dug up anywheres.

setting records for highs the past three days and
probably tomorrow too.

i shall have to get out to water this morning, get
red peppers done sometime, give dad a call and see if
i can visit today or tomorrow.

sorting beans, of course, found one cross i'd been
aiming for for many years. roughly. it is of two of
the varieties that have consistently done well here
because they are both early and small, but very
prolific. two seeds, i will have to scan closely for
more, but i have to do it in sunlight because the
pattern is a series of dark red lines on a dark red
bean. not at all easy to see. usually if there are
two there are a few more in the batch, but it is like
finding the needle in the haystack because there's
several thousand.

a good hot day activity if i don't go visiting.

cheers, gotta run,

songbird

We don't have soil in our yard, it's five feet of clay covered with a
couple of inches of sand so we have raised beds for gardening.