Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith in England Judith in England is offline

Default Gaps between raised beds

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 21:57:36 +0100, (Peter Robinson) wrote:

I'm in the process of building a couple of raised beds from scaffolding
planks. 4ft x 12ft. If the weather's reasonable I'll try to make one
of them this weekend, but before I do the next one I have to decide on
the width of the gap. Was going to say 3ft, but laying it out on the
existing lawn, that seems unnecessarily wide and wasteful. Will I be
forever annoyed by 2ft6? Can I go even smaller?

Peter

Mine have about 18 inches - which I find fine. You can also sit on the edge of
one of the beds whilst you tend its neighbour.

The only time I had a very slight problem was when I had runner beans in two
adjacent beds : I had to push them to one side as I went between them.