Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Advice needed for moving a Holly tree.

On 10/1/2017 1:40 PM, Wildthyme wrote:
Hello I've wanted holly tree in my garden for awhile and don't want to
buy one as most are too small. I've located one in the wild in a hedge
row (on land I own) but could do with some advice on how to move it.
I've tried moving one to my garden before (twice) the first one died and
the other just about clung on but is half dead and going to take ages to
grow now.

Is it a bad time of year to move such a tree? The one I've located looks
like its about to flower. Also is there any difference between the ones
with red berries and ones with no berries? The leaves on these trees
dark green and spiky (except not spiky strangely on the one I've got my
eye on).

I'm no expert but in google I trust:

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-grow-holly/

My wife has a little one in a pot now in the house to try to grow before
putting outside.

I did transplant a small one outside, sort of lost in the vegetation of
the bank it is in but it is growing slowly.

They do grow slow and according to above are hard to transplant. As an
evergreen I am not sure what season is best.