Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Gaps between raised beds

On 2017-09-30 08:23:28 +0000, Peter Robinson said:

[...] My soil is thick clay, and squelchy in the winter, so that is one
reason, but more for containment.

My existing "temporary" veg bed - which is 3 years old now - is just cut
out of the turf and cultivated. Digging, adding lots of rough compost
and mulching means the level is raised and so soil is much better, but
I'm left with a 6in sloping 'dead zone' all the way round. The local
squirrels, cats and blackbirds love to move the compost/mulch to the
lawn, and the grass and buttercups invade from the lawn the moment my
back is turned. Being one large bed I have to walk on it, which I hate.

It isn't too late to corret the error.

No. The current plan is to convert that to a couple of raised beds too
- after it is empty. Overwintering crops can go in the new one this
year.

Dig out adequate clay and transport to a suitable site or, if none is
available, most councils offer facilities for disposal.

Even if I could bring myself to throw away my top soil, I think we would
be talking about a skip. I am skeptical that that would be easier than
conventional raised beds, and it still wouldn't really solve the
'containment' issue.

Peter