Old 12-10-2017, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default review: Red Holland versus Grey Griselle Shallot

On 10/12/2017 05:31 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 1:20:54 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 10/11/2017 07:56 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:29:26 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

This year I successfully grew (ya, me huh!) both
Red Holland and Grey Griselle Shallot.

Red Holland:
several bulbs the size of a golf ball
scapes (yummy!)
Taste of a yellow onion with a garlic overtone

Grey Griselle:
lots of little tiny bulbs the size of garlic cloves
sinks that can only be characterizes as "bark".
You have to "saw" through hem.
Taste of a yellow onion with a garlic overtone
no scapes :'(

EXTREMELY STRONG. Can only be used in cooking.
A "sliver" will cause severe pain in your sinuses and
make your stomach lurch so hard you will almost puke.

Lessons learned:
they like to be watered like any other plant.
They like acid soil. The bulbs with more peat moss
around them grew bigger.

My conclusion is that both of these are a pain in the ass
to grow for the small amount of food they produce. And
Both the wife and I like Yellow Onions better. So next
year it is yellow onions instead!

I have my eye on "Senshu Yellow" yellow onions. They over winter
and like zones 5 and 6 (I am 6c). Plus they give a half
pound bulb.

T,

I forwarded your review to my wife, who's the gardener in the family, and she replied,

"Where is he getting his Senshu Yellow stock? I don't know about that variety.
I agree that shallots aren't worth the trouble: I tried growing them for years. The multiplier onions function well as shallots and are a lot easier to grow and more productive."

Paul

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_135-96.html

Where is she getting her multiplier onions?

Territorial Seed Company in Oregon

Thank you!